Part 2 of the photos from Lime Rock 2015
Wednesday, September 30, 2015
Sunday, September 20, 2015
Sunday, September 13, 2015
Wednesday, September 9, 2015
The next step of the project was to fabricate and install the front engine mounting plate. This required a bit of headscratching, because it was necessary to carve a clearance into the engine block, in order to avoid modifying the front frame bend. As a result, the frame had to pass THROUGH the mounting plate.
I accomplished this by machining a pair of slots into the plate that allowed the tubes to pass through. Next, I welded a brace underneath the tubes that joined and strengthened the three edges of the plate.
|Shaping the front mount brace|
|Adding reinforcement braces|
After the frame was finished, I replaced the wheel bearings with a set of homemade tools. I took the opportunity to upgrade from the old two-piece tapered bearings to single-piece ball bearings.
|New bearings and a custom-made installation tool|
|Removing the old bearing race|
|Knocking in the new bearings|
|Motor bolted in place|
|Beginning the wiring harness|