Saturday, October 19, 2013

Racing Exhaust and Custom Baffles

I wanted to equip my 450/500T racer with a pair of megaphone pipes, but I also wanted to make it suitable for road use without filling my shelf with alternate mufflers and exhaust bits. I purchased a pair of EMGO megaphones and totally gutted them, including knocking out the mounting plate at the back opening.


Then, I made an aluminum exhaust tip that would fit into the large rear opening. The inner surface of this tip is tapered so that it acts like a reverse megaphone, but it also has a mounting surface to support a perforated pipe.



Inside this perforated tube is a removable plug:

Pinned plug. Its location is adjustable


All of this allows me to configure my current pipes in multiple ways, depending on the particular requirements at the time. For racing, I can run them as full open megaphones for top speed, or I can add the reverse cone aluminum slug to give better midrange performance. On the road, I can add the perforated pipe and wrap it in fiberglass as a glasspack pipe, or I can add the steel slug and have a baffled pipe.

Installed on the bike

No comments:

Post a Comment