Wednesday, December 4, 2013

CL450 Racer - Installing the Original Tank

When I purchased the hulk that would form the basis of my 450cc land speed racer, it was incomplete and didn't come with a gas tank.

Among other things
I had a larger CB500T gas tank installed on its original motor-less chassis, so I swapped it onto the new frame and modified the mounting points to suit. That tank served me well, until I stumbled on an original CL450 "Scrambler" tank on Craigslist.

That seat came from a junkyard and is WAAAY worse than it looks.
The inside is surprisingly clean
I was browsing for a donor tank to put onto the rolling chassis I assembled in my previous post, but the opportunity was too good to pass up. I decided to refurbish the scrambler tank, put it on its correct chassis, and return the 500T tank to its original home.

CL450 with the 500T tank

Lean and mean with its original sheetmetal
The scrambler tank weighs 5 pounds less than the 500T tank, and holds around 1 gallon less of fuel, so now the bike handles brilliantly :-D . Next up is to refurbish that seat, so I can actually use this machine regularly on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment