Tuesday, September 16, 2014

CL450 Racer - Installing New Mufflers

Unfortunately, I had to remove my custom mufflers this weekend. I pulled over to fill up, and when my foot hit the pipe I heard a loud rattle. When I inspected it to tighten the hanger bolts, I discovered that the mounting rail on the EMGO outer shell had suffered metal fatigue and cracked off.




Busted!


I will try to repair this at a later date, but the metal is so thin and weak that I suspect a weld repair will never really hold for too long. Instead, I installed a pair of stock mufflers that a friend took off his new Harley. They are nearly the same size and have a similar diameter. However, they are so wide near the clamp that they interfere with the frame rail of the bike. I made an extension piece to move them back a bit and clear the frame. They have certainly robbed a little bit of power, but have significantly quieted the bike down (and made me more popular with my neighbors). When not racing, I will probably keep these installed.









No comments:

Post a Comment