Monday, October 6, 2014

Steam Engine Restoration Part 11 - Finishing the Crankshaft Bearings (Video Post)

I got a bit ahead of myself with the successful test run, so I want to backtrack and post the rest of the Babbitting process.





After pouring the bottom of the main crank bearings, I scraped, finished, and reinstalled them, and then laid the crankshaft in place. Next, shim stock was placed on the joining surface, clay was packed around the edges of the bearing block, and the top cap of the bearing block was bolted in place.








The fresh babbitt had to be poured through the bearing port, so I installed a sacrificial pipe fitting to protect the threads of the hole.



Next, I packed clay around the fitting to form a cup that would guide the babbitt into the bearing block.


Unfortunately, the babbitt hardened a little too quickly this time, so the right bearing block cap didn't fill up all the way. However, since this engine will be run at a reduced capacity, this should be enough material to support the crankshaft.






No comments:

Post a Comment