Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Biodiesel Sportster Land Speed Racer - Part 17 - Billet Battery Tray

During testing, I determined that the fuel pump was not running once the battery umbilical cord was disconnected. These pumps require clean 12VDC to run properly, but the output from my alternator is pulsed 12VDC. I had installed a large capacitor in the system to attempt to smooth out the pulses, but apparently this wasn't sufficient.

Unfortunately, the stock battery tray in a Sportster is inside the oil tank, so I could not install a factory replacement. There are not many mounting lugs in this section of the stock frame, so I designed a battery tray that clamps to a frame rail. I cut a pieces of 3/4" 6061 aluminum plate on my bandsaw, finished with a hand file, and machined a pocket with my mill.







No comments:

Post a Comment