Monday, August 8, 2022

1999 Ford Ranger Biodiesel Swap

Nearly 4 years since I've posted to this blog, and a lot has changed! 

New job, moved to a new state, bought a house, adopted a dog, and got married, most of which occurred during the coronavirus pandemic. Needless to say, I had....other priorities and projects to attend to since 2018.

I don't know if this attempted revival will stick, but I'll try to keep up with it as often as I can.

And with (re)introductions out of the way, here's a summary of my new biodiesel project:

In October 2021, I bought a 1999 Ford Ranger 3.0L 2WD long bed off Facebook Marketplace, with a seized engine and clean title. I've pulled and sold-off the original drivetrain, and plan to swap it with a VW 1.6NA diesel engine (55hp), Ford M50D manual transmission, and 5.13:1 rear gears. The primary goal of this swap will be to maximize fuel economy, and optimize the truck for backroad 55-60mph commuting.

Dragged home from the junkyard.

Interior stripped for rust repairs and upholstery reconditioning.



I bought and installed a relatively rare Leer long-bed cap.


Major suspension work, replacing the leaf spring shackles, brackets, and bushings.

Original "Rabbit Diesel" badge

No comments:

Post a Comment