Thursday, September 15, 2022

Ranger Biodiesel Swap - Fuel System Installation

To improve accessibility and simplify mounting, I installed the new fuel system on the outside of the driver's-side frame rail. 

The small fuel/water separator is a Racor 110A from a marine supplier, which I bolted the frame directly ahead of the front leaf spring mount and plumbed to the sending unit with 3/8" fuel hose rated to SAE 30R14. 

(Note: use aluminum fittings for the fuel system wherever possible. Brass is reactive to higher biodiesel blends)


To connect the return line to the tank, I modified the stock 3/4" filler vent hose and installed a t-fitting. It now made from the 3/4" Ford Diesel fuel hose, as well as the following McMaster-Carr parts:

- P/N 5357K32 - (1X) Aluminum Barbed Fitting, Adapter for 1/4" Hose ID, 1/4 NPT Male 
- P/N 44705K452 - (1X) Aluminum Inline Tee Reducer, 1/2 x 1/4 NPT Female
- P/N 5357K44 - (2X) Aluminum Barbed Fitting, Adapter for 3/4" Hose ID, 1/2 NPT Male



The new fuel pump is a Facet 40107 12V electric pump, which I bolted to the frame below the driver's door and finished with 1/4" aluminum barbed fittings. The sending and return hoses are both 1/4" ID rubber hose rated to SAE 30R14, and I retained them with rubber-coated steel mounting clamps at regular intervals.


Finally, I wired the new pump to the extended leads for the original submerged tank pump, which allows me to turn it on at-will with the override switch I previously installed.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment