Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Ranger Biodiesel Swap - Alternator Adapters

 To simplify wiring, I decided to mount the original Ford alternator on the VW engine. There's no tensioner pulley for the serpentine v-belt, so I fabricated a hinged adapter and tensioning rod.


The first version of the hinged adapter was made from billet aluminum. 




Next, I turned an aluminum v-belt pulley on my lathe, to match to profile of the original VW pulleys.







Finally, I bent a steel bracket that curves around the outside of the alternator and bolts to the engine block. With an 8mm socket cap bolt and fender washers, I made a tensioner that pulls the belt tight, rather than pushes.


After installing the engine, I discovered that the alternator was hitting the steering u-joint and needed to be rotated higher. The aluminum hinge was at its limit of travel, so I made a replacement out of steel that allowed better clearance.









No comments:

Post a Comment