Friday, December 9, 2016

Honda CB500 - Shakedown Run To The 2016 Macy's Thanksgiving Parade


This project is huge for me, for many reasons. This was the first bike I ever owned. I purchased it in 2005 when I was still in high school. I literally pushed it home from a neighbor's house on the last day of Junior Year. Rebuilt it, rode it, rebuilt it, crashed it, rebuilt it, wore it out, blew up the engine, stored it, and rebuilt it once more to what you see here:





She started as a 1971 Honda CB500F. Over the last two years (which will be covered in future posts), I retrofitted her with a 1981 CB650 engine, custom carburetors, intake, 4-2 exhaust system, upgraded suspension, powdercoated frame, period hard bags, upgraded electrical system, and a refinished bench seat.

And on Thanksgiving, I took her for the inaugural shakedown ride....to Manhattan... for the Macy's parade....because that seems like a good idea :-D

Drew and Maggie

The Mighty Steeds


WAFELS & DINGES!!!!









And as anyone could have predicted....an unforseen breakdown occurred on the ride home. The bike sputtered and died as I coasted off the LIE at my exit, and a quick examination showed why: All of the lights were dim, and the tank was full of fuel. The alternator had failed at some point, and she had finally run out of electrons.

So I (bravely) called my friend to pick me up, we retrieved my truck and trailer, and recovered the bike before going to Thanksgiving dinner



I have since determined that the rotor coil failed, and replaced the original with an upgraded piece from Rick's Electric.

No comments:

Post a Comment