Friday, December 23, 2016

Honda CB500F Rebuild Part 1 - Ten Years Gone

In 2005, on the very last day of my Junior year of high school, I bought a motorcycle.

I had first noticed it the year before...just a headlight and handlebars peeking out from under a tattered tarp. It was wedged between the garage and side fence of a neighbors house. I had seen it every day that year as I walked from my bus stop to my house, and I had no clue what it was.

On the first day of summer vacation, I walked home, grabbed what I thought was a fairly impressive stack of cash (150 bucks, living large!), and walked up to my neighbors house to make an offer on whatever that headlight belonged to.

He agreed to sell, as he had purchased it as a project and stalled years ago. We walked into his driveway, where he pulled the sun-bleached and torn tarp off of a beat-up, rusty, but entirely complete 1971 Honda CB500F. We agreed upon a price of $75, loosened the seized front brake caliper, and I pushed my prize down the sidewalk to my house.









I will document the various rebuilds, accidents, and blow-up before I decided to strip it to the bone and start over in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment