Monday, September 4, 2017

Honda CB500F Rebuild Part 7 - Seat

After refinishing the tank, I turned my attention to the seat. The foam cushion had completely disintegrated, and the pan was suffering from serious rust, so I started by removing the cover and disassembling all the parts

 
Cover removed. Not too bad....

Nope, that's beyond saving
As suspected, the foam was totally ruined. Luckily, the pan was still solid and hole-free, so I sent it out for sandblasting and powdercoating. Meanwhile, I began searching for a suitable replacement cushion.


Unfortunately, I was unable to find an aftermarket cushion for an early CB500, but after some research I determined that an early CB750 cushion could be modified to fit. I purchased one, carved out a relief in the underside to clear a hump in the pan, and shaved down the front to match. I then attached it to the pan with rubber cement.

 

 Finally, I installed a replacement cover, and lined the edges with self-adhesive flexible chrome detail edging from the auto parts store.



No comments:

Post a Comment