Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Honda CB500F Rebuild Part 8 - Carburetors And Exhaust

The final parts of the rebuild were the intake and exhaust systems. I prefer round slide carburetors to vacuum carburetors, so I purchased an incomplete set from eBay. I completely rebuilt them only to discover that Honda had they have a different center-to-center spacing then the engine I had installed.

Apparently, when Honda switched the CB650 from slides to vacuums, they changed the spacing of the cylinder head intake runners, rather than modify the carbs. I decided to disassemble my set, fabricate custom piping and brackets, modify the throttle and choke linkages, and respace them to match the head.




Disassembly Begins

Grinding clearance into the carb bodies

Custom crossover piping

Narrowing a factory fuel fitting

Drilling new holes in the throttle linkage






I modified a set of spacers from the later vacuum carbs to lock the rack together.


Finally, I fabricated a new exhaust system. An aftermarket 4 into 2 CB650 exhaust will not clear the footpegs on a CB500 frame, so I purchased several rotten sets of original CB650 pipes. A few weeks with a hacksaw and hand file, as well as a pair of stainless 2 to 1 pipe fittings, and the bike was complete!





No comments:

Post a Comment