Thursday, September 5, 2013

Carburetor Modification Part 1

The original CV carbs installed on my CB450 twin had developed a major air leak around the throttle plate shaft that I could not seal. It looks like years of use had increased the gap between the shaft and the carb body, allowing air to be sucked through. I tried several combinations of o-rings to try to minimize the leakage, and even installed extra cable return springs to deal with the extra friction, but nothing worked.

O-rings installed

Extra spring installed

While racing in July, the engine began heavily pinging from detonation. Investigation of the left plug found the insulator scorched and the electrode bright blue from a lean condition, so I decided to junk the original carbs before they caused any serious damage.

The VM-30 Mikuni carb kits are a bit too pricey and, I think, a bit overkill for a stock CB500T engine. Also, the stock gas tank on a 500T sits low, and can foul the carbs, so I bought a set of Mikunis taken from a flood damaged Trident. They had salt deposits internally but were otherwise fine, so I boiled the better 2 in distilled water to leach out any chunks that I missed. 

The original boots are way too big for the mikunis I wanted to used, so I bought a pair of intake boots from a Honda XL175, which nearly match the CB500T's bolt pattern and intake diameter, but are designed for a carburetor with a 34mm diameter. I then machined the carb intakes to get a better fit:



Spinnin round

Original vs Re-machined


Unfortunately, after cleaning them I discovered that the carbs, which were advertised as VM28-49's, are actually VM26-8074's. This may be a hair too small, but they're already half finished, so I might as well try them out anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment