Thursday, September 19, 2013

Carburetor Modification Part 2

Once the carburetor diameters were modified on the lathe, I boiled them for half an hour to leach out any remaining salt from the various passages. I bought a cheap pot from Wally World, filled it with water, and let it sit at a rolling boil:

Someday, I may actually cook FOOD on this stove...
I then blew the passages out with compressed air, and a bit of carb cleaner to purge any moisture.

A few years ago I bought a pair of grimy velocity stacks at a swap meet for a fiver, but never really knew what to do with them. I tried them out on my gutted mikunis, and found that they just happened to fit nearly perfectly. I just needed to file off some burrs and smooth out the casting, give the bellmouths a thorough scrubbing, and clamp them on.




Taking Shape
After that, it was relatively straightforward to clean and reassemble the rest of the carbs. I have no clue which jets to use, so I'll just keep using the ones that the carbs came with to get started. They were previously installed on a Triumph Trident 750, so they should be relatively close to the correct tuning for a 250cc piston each.

Clean and ready for installation
The only other major modification I made was to the float bowl screws. It is difficult to remove the bowl with a screwdriver when the carbs are installed, so I replaced them with a combination of spacers and thumbscrews:


Now the bowl can be easily dropped by hand, in order to adjust the jetting while in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment