Saturday, September 21, 2013

Machine Tool Spotlight - Vintage Vertical Mill

I previously posted some pictures of my milling machine, while being used to machine out the welds in my BSA Bantam case. I acquired this mill for free several years ago, but it required a total restoration before I could use it. Unfortunately, I didn't take any "before" pics.

After Restoration and Recommisioning
This machine is a home-shop vertical mill, manufactured by the "Burke Machine Tool Company". I cannot locate any product literature or its exact product number, but its design and castings are remarkably similar to those used on the Burke Model 1:

Burke No. 1 Advertisement circa 1905
 This advertisement is from approximately 1905 so I would guess my machine is roughly the same age, although at some point it was modified from common belt drive to an electric motor. I found this machine while cleaning out a storage barn. The roof had suffered some major damage and was actually missing directly above the mill, so it had been sitting in a damp atmosphere for 30 years, and in essentially open sky for a further 6. The drip plate was full of rusty water, all the paint had peeled off, and every sliding surface was locked solid.
 I dragged it home and, with the help of some friends, began tearing it down to its individual components.

Electric Motor during Rebuild
Amazingly, after a summer's worth of grinding, chipping, repainting, and reassembly, the only parts that could not be reused were a few dozen fasteners and the threaded rod for locking the Z-axis. Despite its limited size and lack of dials, its provided me with years of reliable service since then.



1 comment:

  1. otherwise the machine table or column will travel on uneven or inaccurate guideways, which is no way for the machine to achieve a high accuracy. cnc milling machine

    ReplyDelete